Thursday, November 12, 2015

To react or not to react

A speaker once advised, when talking about discussing awkward subjects with your kids, to not react when they ask. When you feel like dying inside or freaking out, instead say, "Let me get back to you on that...or let me do some research and I'll get back to you..." If you have a total meltdown freak out, they will react negatively and never ask another question of you. I get that. I really do. Also postponing the answer for a little bit gives you a chance to have a private freak out and fact finding time. On the other hand, is there a time when a very violent or expressive reaction is necessary? Oh heck yes, I think. A friend just tweeted that her daughter asked, "What is a virgin?". Okay, so that is a "Let me look and get you the best answer that will make sense for this situation. Give me ten, okay?". "Mom, a friend brought brownies to school. I had two and then they said they had pot in them...is that okay?". I feel that a somewhat expressive reaction is okay. And, no, that has not happened in our house, but a discussion about pot brownies did happen. Luckily, nothing had been ingested...just shock and confusion that someone would put a dried plant into a perfectly good brownie.

I'll be happy if she has that reaction the rest of her life. Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment