Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sock hopped out

Tonight we had a sock hop to kick off our Wednesday Night programming for the year. I must confess that I was not really in a totally sock hoppy kind of mood, but I was determined to try and be jolly and hip and dance and all that stuff. The gym was decorated up right and we had all the makings for a fun evening: floats and sodas and burgers and fries and dogs. Nutrition was not a high point, but oh well. People started rolling in wearing poodle skirts and Converse tennis shoes and their dungarees rolled up looking quite sharp. I was assigned the job of being the sock hop "Flo" who wrote out receipts for people as they came through the food line, chewing my gum like a cow and getting in everybody's business. It was fun, but my jaw hurts from chewing so much gum. Not usually my thing, so, ouch! We had a strong contingent from the senior center dance circuit. They danced us all under the table and lasted much longer than any of the rest of us. S was determined to learn how some of their dances worked. Seeing her interest, one lady grabbed her hands and showed her the proper footwork. Afterwards an older gentleman, Clarence, took her and showed her the proper hold and danced to Sinatra singing "The Way You Look Tonight". So very sweet:



It was a special time, generations interacting and sharing in a fun evening. Rugs were being cut by 3 year olds and 80 year olds. It was lovely.

Now this "Flo" needs to go to bed and rest her dogs. The "Land of 1000 Dances" demonstration I gave my child wore me out.

Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment