Friday, May 15, 2015

Full heart

Today was the 5th grade awards day and graduation at G's school. I was a wreck. Nerves get the best of me every time, especially when my children are involved. Awards days have always been hard for me and I have talked about it before. I have been blessed with parents who have been involved inmy schooling and activities. They wanted to help, showed up to school when needed and cheered me and my brother on in our different ventures. But for every kid like me and mine who have involved grown ups in their lives, there are three who don't. There are children who sit at every awards ceremony with no one to cheer them on and snap a photo or send out an embarrassing "WOOHOO" when their name is called. There are also children who may have an adult there, but never have their name called for anything. We have had our years, many years, where the biggest award they get is the made up ones their teachers give out in their classroom to everybody. Nothing wrong with those at all...but there is something about being recognized in front of all of your peers in a very public way. Two hundred pats on the back so to speak. So on days like today, when my good natured tortoise(slow and steady wins the race)was given the recognition that she so desperately craved and torturously worked for, it is a bittersweet feeling. Hopeful little faces waiting to hear their names called, only to sink into disappointment once again. I'll be honest, I wanted to cheer out loud when she was recognized as the winner of school award voted on by the staff. I didn't, which cheated my girl out of getting to see my sheer joy at her accomplishments. I will say this and I said it to her, I am beyond proud. She has fought through her learning differences. She has made herself available to help and learn from others. She has loved the difficult and assisted the ungrateful...and all with a smile. I couldn't be more proud of her. She is middle school bound and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it. That's how it is supposed to be.

I am grateful for days like this to show my child that she is doing the right thing and is worth something to people. I am grateful to her teacher who found a switch in her, flipped it and set a fire in her belly. I am just grateful.



Grace and her teacher. She's married to a Miami fan, but the Hokies in our house won't hold that against her.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment