Friday, March 6, 2015

If you can't say anything nice....

Same story, different day. I worked the consignment sale this morning and have now completed my shift obligations that I signed up for to get my extra earnings. We are currently in the car on the way to see some professional magicians perform. My daughter, G, has taken magic lessons from a dear friend of ours who is a professional magician and he may be able to introduce us to some of the super duper guys tonight. This is very exciting and all of our tummies are a little swirly with anticipation. But before we get there, I need to rant for one litle bit.

As I was waiting to help another customer, I got thrown into a conversation about educationa and children with special needs and learning differences and high IQ's and labels and all that business. I have been involved in a conversation on this topic with at least two of these people before and knew better than to engage. I knew. Shame on me. So a mom of a "gifted" child and a mom of a "learning difference" child were trading war stories. One is having to jump through hoops to get help for her child while the other cannot get enough challenging work for her child. The LD child's mom left. The other mom said, "What makes me mad is that my child will be a tax payer and contribute to corporate America. They will make our economy better. That woman's child will just be a drain on everybody and be nothing but a laborer. LD kids. A waste." Now as a mom of a child who is both extrememly smart and has the added bonus of dyslexia(and we have had to be on top of things to get her the help and confidence she needs), I just about lost my mind. God was standing behind of me holding me back and had struck me dumb and it is a good thing. I turned and went back to my job. I don't care if your child is a genius, has mental challenges, has learning differences, has emotional problems....they all deserve a chance. Whether that means they fix your HVAC or your bank statement...plumb in your bathroom or design the new bathroom for you, they deserve respect and grace and kindness in this world. No child is a waste. Shame on you. Shame.

I will now go to my happy place, have some dinner and get my socks knocked off with some fabulous magic.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment