Thursday, February 26, 2015

More snow...how 'bout that?

We went to bed with a nice steady snow a-fallin' and woke up with quite a substantial blanket on top of what we already had on the ground. The kids were excited, again, about the snow and how it made everything look fresh and clean and not slushy again. There was also excitement upon finding out that this was the first snow we have had with good packing snow. "Do you wanna build a snowman?" was referenced way too many times today, but it was appropriate for the occasion. The boy wanted to build an igloo, but the sun was not on our side and things started melting and getting unccoperative. This was met with much frustration which ultimately ended our time outside...that and the fact that my children had thrown so many snowballs at my rear end that I needed an immediate change of clothes.

Later this evening, Sarah decided that she wanted to make some more snow cream, kind of a last hurrah for dessert snow. Our bowls that had been so full of lovely, fluffy snow in the morning had been reduced to metal bowls of cold water. So, I sent S outside to get some remaining snow that has not been touched by the dog. A full bowl was brought to the kitchen and I began to mix in the cream part. It got a little soupy for some reason, but I kept on mixing...until something little and brown surfaced. Oh no. I asked where exactly the snow had been harvested from and realized what the brown was. We live with woods in our backyard and lots of frolicking squirrels. They like to sit on our patio railing and eat our hickory nuts...and poop. YES. There was squirrel poop in my lovely vanilla snow cream. And I had tasted it. Wellll, scrap that batch. I sent her out for new, instructing her to skim off the top and to use her flashlight on her phone to make sure there was no yellow or brown in it. We tried again. Meh. Not nearly as tasty as our other batches, but you can't win 'em all. Heck, we were winning in the fact that we weren't eating squirrel feces flavored dessert. I know what my nightmares will be about tonight.

Gag ack barf....




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment